9 Best Practices to Boost the Resale Value of Your House
Do you want to sell your current home or a home you’ve purchased to flip? Here are nine best practices from the top real estate agents Bellevue, WA residents depend on for home selling expertise.
Homes for Sale in Bellevue, WA
Create a First Impression That Says “Wow!”
You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression. If your curb appeal is lacking, buyers may drive by without even looking at the interior. Make sure your house stands out and is ready for appraisal with a few key boosts to the appearance:
• Apply fresh sealant to the driveway.
• Use a pretty garage door, like a natural wood or carriage house-style model.
• Make sure the lawn and gardens are in good shape.
• Create a new look with fresh exterior paint or siding.
• Install a beautiful front door.
• Set potted plants and homey touches near the entrance.
Make the Interior Ultra Attractive
Once across the threshold, buyers want to see a gorgeous interior that matches the stellar exterior. One of the best ways to do this is with a new paint job. Keep in mind that not everyone’s tastes are the same, so stick with classic neutral colors. Other interior tips:
• Make the house smell nice. Eliminate pet odors and use potpourri and air fresheners to create the aroma of clean laundry.
• Enhance views with shiny windows and attractive window treatments.
• Polish or refinish hardwood floors.
• Install up-to-date neutral light fixtures.
• Stage the home to show off its best points using a minimum of furniture and personal belongings. Let the buyer imagine themselves living there.
Keep It Clean and Organized
Of course, the most lovely designer home won’t attract buyers if it’s dirty, dusty, and cluttered. It’s worth using a professional cleaning service at least once to do a thorough scouring of the home from top to bottom.
Remove as many personal belongings as you need to in order for the surfaces to appear serene and to give an impression of spaciousness. Have a yard sale or take items to a storage unit if you are overwhelmed with stuff.
Build in Tons of Storage
If the first rule of real estate is “Location, location, location,” the second one is definitely “Storage, storage, storage.” Think about these options:
• Closet near the foyer for coats
• Built-in bookshelves
• Mud room or kitchen cubbies
• Food or appliance pantry
• Wine cellar or refrigerator
• Walk-in closets in the bedrooms
• Custom closet features like shelving, drawers, and roll-out hanging racks
4 Bedroom Homes for Sale in Bellevue, WA
Enhance Low-Maintenance Features
Ease of living is a big draw in real estate right now. Make your property more appealing by enhancing its low maintenance features:
• Maintain a thick layer of much in all landscape beds to minimize weeds
• High-quality roof with a guarantee
• Weather resistant doors, trim, and decking
• Native plants that require little maintenance
• Windows that tilt in for cleaning
• Easy-clean flooring
• Wipe-and-go kitchen surfaces
Use Energy-Efficient Elements
Home appliances that save on utility bills are always welcome. Look for energy-efficient kitchen appliances, furnaces, hot water heaters, and washer/dryer sets. Thermal doors and windows are big sellers. Some homes even add solar panels for electricity.
Increase the Square Footage
If you can grow the home’s square footage a bit, it will likely increase its sale value. Kitchens and bathrooms nearly always recoup the cost of investment, so consider bumping those out if possible. Other popular renovations include extensions for a family room or great room and adding outdoor living space with a deck or patio.
Don’t forget you can often go up or down too. A finished attic with an en suite bath makes a wonderful guest/in-law/au pair space. A finished basement can house a recreation room, exercise space, media room, or office.
Use Floor Plan Buzzwords
Savvy buyers looking for homes for sale in Bellevue, WA are often attracted by real estate buzzwords that indicate a home has something special to offer. Remember, your goal is to make the home as appealing as possible to the greatest number of buyers. As such, versatility is king.
Think about rooms with multiple use possibilities, such as a “flex room” that can function as a bedroom, office, or personal yoga retreat. A sunroom can be a family room, play room, or TV room.
Other floor plan buzzwords include:
• Desirable first-floor master bedroom
• First-floor or second-floor laundry for convenience
• First-floor powder room for entertaining
• Second staircase for family privacy
• Live-in staff suite off kitchen
• Mud room with garage access
• Separate breakfast area
• Second-floor loft area for office or study use
Install Cost-Effective Smart Technology
Buyers today are also knowledgeable about home technology. Without blowing your budget, install smart tech where possible, such as Internet-connected appliances, automatic lights, remote controlled window treatments, central stereo systems, and whole-house security systems that can be run via a mobile phone.
Selling a home in today’s competitive market can be tough, but you can get the edge by using the tips above. Your home will stand out from others, and hopefully, you’ll get the price you’re asking for or even more.
Evergreen Global Homes and Land